Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Bicycle Flowers

Well I hate to say it, but I no longer use my bicycle for it's intended purpose.  Riding it.   I have put it to pasture... literally. 
This is a bike that had been riden many years at the beach and gave me and other members of my family lots of enjoyment.  How could I just give it away?  It's been so good to me.  Then I got to thinking about other things you ride, e.g. horses, and when they have reached their hayday, you put them out to pasture...Give them a retirement, so to speak.

So, that's exactly what I did.  I've seen photo's where others have turned their old, worn-out bikes into beautiful things again by using them as planters for flowers.  Here are a couple I thought were so cute.
living.msn.com

ivillage.com

I love the teal color of my bike and decided for now to leave the pink tape on the handlebars since my flowers are pink.  I chose a nice shady place in the edge of the pasture where I could see the bike from my kitchen window.  Our dogs love this shady spot too.
Max and Savannah getting in on the photo action. They're such hams.... 

 I had a pretty pale yellow metal basket that I wired onto the handle bars after I put a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage.   I also wired the back tire to the tree so it would stand sturdy.

I added this small hanging planter over the bike to create a small vignette.  I'm going to add a chair later so I can drink a cup of tea beside the bike instead of riding on it.... lol 

I like to use potted plants in bloom to fill containers whenever I can and they can later be planted in the yard to bring more beauty next year.  The Azaleas are beautiful right now.   Once the blooms are done, I'll plant other flowers in the container.

I love using what I have to make something new and beautiful.  If you are not riding that old bike, pull it out and plant something on it.  See you Friday.







thurCozyLittleHousebadge150xhappythumb    By Stephanie LynnIvy and Elephants   Photobucket    Chic on a Shoestring Decorating  

//fishtailcottage.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment