Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Painted Chair Seats

I'm so excited!  I've just recently purchased a new dining set for my front porch from a neat furniture consignment store, Feather Your Nest.  As soon as I saw it, I instantly fell in love.   It was the perfect size and shape I'd been looking for.  The only problem was the seat cushions were not the color I could use for my porch.

Feather Your Nest Photo



They were however, covered very well.  So...I got this notion that maybe I could paint them.  Why not give it a try?  I was going to recover them anyway.  Maybe it would save me some time and money.  

I mixed 1 part acrylic paint to 5 parts water.  I thought this would allow the paint to kind of "dye" the fabric and let the pattern come through.  I thought it would also leave the fabric softer to sit on...and...it worked.


It took two coats of paint.  I allowed it to dry in between coats and I like how you can see the fabric pattern through the black paint. And, at least for now, I can live with the solid black seats.  
I am also thinking of lightly sanding the top of the table and staining a darker color or maybe painting with Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint.   What do you think?  I would love to have some advice to help me decide.  I love the pattern of wood on the top but I'm thinking it needs to be restained or painted.
Thanks for stopping by the porch.  I hope to see you Friday and don't forget to give me some advice in the comments, it would be much appreciated.  Have a fantastic hump day.


No comments:

Post a Comment