Monday, March 25, 2013

Secret Gardens

Good Monday morning to you all.  I hope this past weekend was a nice one for you.  

Today I wanted to share with you one of my gardens that I call My Secret Garden.  My husband and I use this garden for lunches during our work day or at the end of a hard working- in-the yard day.  It is a little private spot and  it overlooks our vege garden and our old barn.

It is still a little cool here, in the 40's at night and 60's during the day, but we've started working in our yard and planting a spring garden so I thought it would be a good time to share.  The flowers haven't come up in the planters in the back of the table, but I'll share these with you later.



I chose to use Lenten Roses from my yard for my centerpiece since it is Holy week.  Lenten Roses grow  in temperate zones 4-9. They are not roses at all, but are actually of the Butter Cup family. Their flowers bloom during the Easter celebration of Lent.  When they are not in bloom they remain as lush ground cover throughout the year; and they are deer proof.   They make wonderful arrangements because they hold up well for several days, so you can enjoy them for a while.

I love a little garden space I can add whimsical things to like my little woman Gertrude.  I also love to collect interesting old light covers to us in the garden.  They reflect the sunlight and are just pretty.




I love my little secret garden.  Everyone can have a spot they create for special little things.  I love to look out over the garden and talk to God on the beautiful days He gives us in this spot.  It's under a very large pecan tree, so it's shady and the breeze blows over this spot giving us just what we need on a hot sunny day.   
I'm Joining:

Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingTablescape Thursday

Wow Us Wednesdays UndertheTableandDreaming

10 comments:

  1. So lovely....oh, I am so ready for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful place for a secret garden. So very beautiful. I can only imagine how gorgeous your view is when Spring is in full bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonya. It is very pretty in the Spring with all the flowers. Looking forward to warmer weather.

      Delete
  3. Susan, you obviously are not living in my area or you would be dining in the snow! Green is my favorite color...your table is wonderfully full of spring and lots of green...the Lenten Roses are beautiful. I love the barn in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marigene. No snow here but it is still cold. Looking forward to warmer weather.

      Delete
  4. What a pretty sanctuary you've created for you and your husband!
    Visiting from Mosaic Monday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a sanctuary, especially on very hot days.

      Delete
  5. What a nice place for retreat you've created. There's something about a "secret" garden that delights the child in all of us. My husband was telling me a few days ago that he would love to have a "secret" garden with high walls.

    Thank you very much for your visit a few weeks ago to my blog. It looks like I've met a fellow garden-lover, and I'm so glad that I have.

    Talk to you again soon,
    Keri

    ReplyDelete