Thursday, March 21, 2013

Friday Finds Cookbook

Today is such a beautiful day for a girls Spring luncheon.  If only all the girls were home from work to come.  Oh well, I'll set the table, plan the menu, blog my photo's and entice the girls to come over from work for a long lunch.

I have a set of neat plates that were one of my sister's that have a different flower on each plate.  They also have matching bowls, cups, saucers and dessert plates.  Luncheons are the perfect opportunity to use these.  They are so springy, (if that's a word).  I have parts from an old chandelier I use for napkin rings around my black cloth napkins.



Here are a couple of my bunny trays I'll serve lunch on.

We are having Creamed Chicken on Cornbread.  This is a recipe that I got from one of my favorite cookbooks and tabletop books called Come to the Table.   This is my Friday Finds this week because it is a beautiful book full of very pretty photos and wonderful recipes and tablescapes that  I highly recommend.  Here's the recipe for today's luncheon just in case any of you would like to prepare it.

1.5 lbs bone-in chicken breasts, poached
1/2 c sliced green onions
1 c chopped celery
8 oz sliced mushrooms
8 Tbsp butter, divided
1/4 c flour
1/5 c milk
1/2 c chicken broth
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 c green peas
2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
6 to 8 pieces cornbread, split in half.

Remove chicken from bone and cut into small pieces.  Set aside.  Saute onions, celery, & mushrooms in 4 Tbsp butter until tender.  Melt remaining butter and stir in flour until smooth.  In a bowl, combine milk, broth and egg yolks.  Add to the flour and stir over low heat until thick and smooth.  Stir in veges, chicken, peas and eggs.  Season w/salt & pepper.  Serve over hot cornbread slices.

6 comments:

  1. I love your floral plates....and that cookbook looks like a good one..
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mona. These plates are very special and all the recipes in this book are very good.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful table, Susan! The bunny trays are charming...but what really caught my eye is the napkin holder...♥ them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marigene. Had these off old chandelier and wanted a way to use them. Think they are blingy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tablescape is so cute, and I really like your bunny trays. I have the Come to the Table book, too; I got it from Cracker Barrel a few years ago. The creamed chicken over cornbread does sound delicious, I must try that recipe now. Happy Easter!

    All the Best,

    Requi @ Tablescaping Escapades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Requi. It is a beautiful book isn't it?

      Delete