Monday, February 11, 2013

Drawings

I'm not much of an art connoisseur, but I do love to go to art galleries, and look at art in neat little shops.  Several years ago, I was able to purchase some artists charcoal studies that I thought were interesting from someone who was moving and needed to sell a lot of her things.  I saw the sketches and knew I wanted them.  They were even still in the artists' sketch folder.



When I got them home, I kept them in the artist folder for a long time, and never really did anything with them.  Then, one day I was looking for another piece and pulled them back out.  For some reason, I was curious about them and since I knew nothing of the person who did these, and with the help of modern technology, I googled the artist and this is what I found out.

Her name was Alta Wheat Alberga.   A renown Southern artist, and a native of Tuscaloosa, Alta died Aug. 8, in Greenville, S. C. She was 96. Born Alta Clarence Wheat in 1905, she married Alvyn Clyde Alberga in 1930.

 Mrs. Alberga lived, worked and studied in many parts of the USA and Aruba, Indonesia, Peru, Venezuela and Canada. During World War Two, the Alberga’s lived in the Yukon where he was an engineer on the famous ALCAN Highway.
Alta Alberga had BA & MA degrees from Wichita State University, a BFA from Washington U., St. Louis, and a MFA from the University of Illinois. She spent a year studying art in Europe and studied at the Art Students League under Morris Kantor and others.
Her paintings have been exhibited in many parts of the USA and have won numerous awards. 17 of Alberga signature paintings will become a part of the permanent collection of the Greenville Museum of Art.  


 Alta is listed in Who’s Who In American Art, Who’s Who in The South and Southwest, Who’s Who Of Women and The World’s Who’s Who Of Women. She was a member of the New York Artists Equity. The Art Student’s League of N.Y., The Guild Of South Carolina Artists, Greenville Artists Guild and The Southeastern Graphics Council.

This is all the information I could find and would also love to find a photo of her.  I am also seeking more information on her life.  Below are some of her later paintings displayed in art galleries.

The next photo's are some of my favorites she drew in the early 50's.  I plan on having some of these framed in the future.   Maybe these will go in my master bedroom or bath.

  
Pretty neat huh? 

4 comments:

  1. I have several of Alta's sketches. In 2001, when she passed away there was an estate sale at her house. Not knowing who she was, I passed by and found dozens of people tearing through her studio. I left and came back later...Picked a random folder and paid 10 cents a piece for each drawing inside. The studio was wrecked and I am sure many pieces of her artwork destroyed, so be glad you have such a beautiful collection of her work. I wish her life's work had been treated with more attention as she is well known and would have had a legacy for all to see. Gail kattouf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several of Alta's sketches. In 2001, when she passed away there was an estate sale at her house. Not knowing who she was, I passed by and found dozens of people tearing through her studio. I left and came back later...Picked a random folder and paid 10 cents a piece for each drawing inside. The studio was wrecked and I am sure many pieces of her artwork destroyed, so be glad you have such a beautiful collection of her work. I wish her life's work had been treated with more attention as she is well known and would have had a legacy for all to see. Gail kattouf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to see your comment Gail and to know someone else also has some of her drawings. I would love to have seen her studio, but it was sad to hear about it being wrecked. I will cherish the collection I have and continue to search for others who might have some of her things. Thanks, Susan

      Delete
  3. I have a self portrait etching drawn by Alta.

    ReplyDelete