Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sweet Little Suppers

Here in the south we call the evening meal supper.  Most people call it dinner but I still love the word supper.  It's a nice homey word.  From the middle ages until around the 18th century dinner was the mid-day meal because it was the main meal of the day.

The word "supper" is a French word, a less formal meal often eaten with the family in the kitchen.  Of course now, we eat our suppers many other places.  

Last night we had a tasty supper out on the front porch.  The weather was nice  and warm with a small breeze.
Tonight I used these cute little teal platters and short, square teal vase I purchased at the hospice store.  I planted peach verbena in the vase and sat this on top of some teal books to raise it up a bit.  I also added a couple of peaches and peach colored napkins.

Supper's menu was rustic homemade bread and homemade spaghetti.  Here's my spaghetti sauce recipe:

1 Qt jar canned whole tomatoes
3 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 Qt jar canned squash
1 pound ground beef (we use venison)
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 small onion chopped
1 small green bell pepper chopped.

Brown onion, bell pepper and ground beef.  Add seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper.   Next add tomatoes and squash and simmer about 45 minutes.

While sauce is simmering cook pasta, drain but reserve about 1 cup liquid.  Put pasta back into pot & add sauce.  Let this sit for about 20 minutes.



Have a happy Monday, and I'll see you Wednesday.
I'm linking to:
Boogieboard CottageFrench Country Cottage  
  The Dedicated House  One on sidebar      A Stroll Through Life
    Ivy and Elephants  Tablescape Thursday  Photobucket  Sunday                          is the day to shareRooted In Thyme

5 comments:

  1. My favorite meal. Your tablescape is beautiful. I love the teal platters and the pretty verbena. Wonderful photos, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "supper" too! Sweet table setting, always so nice to eat outdoors this time of year and spaghetti is one of my favorite meals, will have to try your recipe. :) Your bread looks YUMMY, I could eat that whole loaf myself, have a weakness for fresh, warm, baked bread!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely 'supper' and elegant photos of your divine decor ~ enjoy ^_^ Great mosaic !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tablescape is so pretty. I love the peach and aqua combination and your spaghetti sounds wonderful. Thanks so much for joining Inspire Me. Great photos. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. We call it supper too, and yours looks delicious. Your table is so very pretty and just says 'spring'.

    ReplyDelete