Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hutch Remake

Well, it's Wednesday morning and I'd love to share with you a Hutch I purchased on Craigslist.  I call it a remake because I bought it as a hutch but am repurposing it as a armoire.  I needed a closet for guests staying  in the guest room.  There is a hook to hang clothes on, but when you have a robe, coat and clothes, you really need more hanging space. 

Since I wanted this room a little feminine and shabby chic, I had in my mind a French Provincial look.  For some reason lately I've loved all things French and feminine   My mother-in-law told me that it was because one of my sons was getting ready to have a serious girlfriend.  I don't know about all of that...  I saw this hutch on Craigslist and was thrilled that it was already painted in an off-white Annie Sloan chalk paint.
Isn't it pretty? and what a bonus that it was the color I wanted.  Well, there is a catch.  I need a closet not a hutch, so what do we DIY-ers do when we see something we like?  We change it to make it what we need.  I took the two shelves out by taking the back off.  Luckily, it was a matter of just removing a few small nails and then refastening the back.  

I love the new bright green I'm seeing everywhere.  I've seen it on Houzz, Pinterest and others blogs.  Here're a few photos I used for inspiration I found on Pinterest.

Green is my favorite color and I wanted to try it on the inside of the cabinet.  I chose Valspar interior paint in Lime Candy.  I took a favorite shirt of mine that was the color green I loved to match the color.  The label is below if you need the paint mixture.


I chose to prime the inside first with Cover Stain so the hangers bumping next to the side wouldn't cause it to chip.  
I then painted two coats of paint.  I love the color. 

 Next I put a bar on each side to hang clothes and painted them the same color green.
Here's the after photo.  It's so strange how the camera changes the color of some things.  The carpet in this room is very tan and in the photos it looks a little mauve.  Oh well, ignore that and think tan, which looks great with the white.




Now to get some funky candles to go in the holders.  I changed the colors in the guest room to pink and green so I'll show you that transformation next week....so stay tuned.
http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

I'm Linking to
Miss Mustard Seed 
:       ”A      Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

French Country Cottage   creativetuesdaybutton   Knick of Time Tuesday #81 

11 comments:

  1. What a great idea, one I wouldn't have thought of in a million years! I ♥♥♥ the green interior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We DIYers can invent a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what a fabulous redo. I love the green it is such a fabulous background color. I would love for you to link this to my Inspire Me Tuesday party that is ongoing - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/04/160th-inspire-me-tuesday.html
    I think this would definitely inspire other to be creative and think outside the box. Hugs, Marty P.S. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you scored. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that green really pops on your hutch! How brave and wonderful! It looks so fresh and right on trend!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, You are one creative gal. I love the green, too...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a pretty shade of green, beautiful transformation! Can't wait for more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! The green looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That green looks fabulous! I wanted more pictures! Can't wait for more. Happy to follow you along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea! I love the pop of green inside . . . so pretty.

    ReplyDelete